Thursday, September 24, 2015

Gallery Artist Jeff Thomas' Exhibition "A Necessary Fiction: My Conversation with Nicholas de Grandmaison" at the University of Lethbridge Art Gallery, Alberta


 Plate 9. Black Eagles and Kevin Haywahe, Assiniboine Men © Jeff Thomas / 
courtesy of Stephen Bulger Gallery

Gallery Artist Jeff Thomas' Exhibition "A Necessary Fiction: My Conversation with Nicholas de Grandmaison" is on at the University of Lethbridge Art Gallery, Alberta until October 29th. 

Main Gallery
4401 University Drive
Lethbridge, Alberta
T1K 3M4
Canada
409-329-2666
www.ulag.ca

Daily 9 am – 4:30 pm
Thursdays until 8:30 pm

Admission is Free!

"My photo-based and curatorial practice emanates from my First Nations/urban background. Making my heritage part of a real-time cultural conversation and challenging the public’s stereotypes of Indigenous peoples have been key objectives. As such, I examine archival materials and incorporate historical photographs as part of the conversation. The word “conversation” implies a give-and-take and, indeed, my intention is to engage public spaces and make them conversation places for our communities."

For more information on the exhibition please visit here: www.uleth.ca

To read an exhibition review from the Lethbridge Herals plese visit here: www.lethbridgeherald.com

“A Necessary Fiction: My Conversation with Nicholas de Grandmaison” is a culmination of many years of work. It’s been a slow burn over the last three decades. This is another stage in that journey. Essentially what I do is repurpose archival collections to address contemporary issues facing the indigenous community in terms of self-identity and self-determination. Having a more visual conversation and expanding how we see paintings from the past, and that they still have relevance. For me, when I look at these paintings that were done, they really come alive for me.”

Jeff Thomas artist page: www.bulgergallery.com
 

No comments: