Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Atlas Obscura Interviews Gallery Artist Scott Conarroe on His Recent Publication "By Rail and By Sea"


Boaters, Kalamalka Lake BC, 2008 ©Scott Conarroe / Courtesy of Stephen Bulger Gallery

Anika Burgess of Atlas Obscura, an online publication that is a definitive guide to the world's wondrous and curious places, interviews gallery artist Scott Conarroe on his process and journey to capture the images that make up his recent publication By Rail and By Sea (Black Dog Publishing).

"It ended up focussing on Canada and the U.S., no Mexico. I developed it into something I was confident about. By Rail started touring around Canada, but I had nowhere to be so I decided to engage another tired trope: the beach at sunset. By Rail and By Sea could have each been books, but I like the idea of rails crisscrossing the continent while a contour line hugs the perimeter. I see the railway section of By Rail and By Sea as commenting on the development of this geo-cultural bloc; the seasides anticipate an era increasingly defined by climate change."

To read the complete article please visit: www.atlasobscura.com

Artist page: www.bulgergallery.com

No comments: