Wednesday, February 17, 2010

O Canada - A note about our current exhibition

A weekend visitor to our “O Canada” show has prompted me to forward this clarification on our current exhibition.

For the past 15 years, my gallery has maintained an inventory of historical photographs of Canada, in fact it has developed into quite an enterprise. Our present exhibition contains 97 photographic objects from a current inventory of about 3,000 such objects. Some of these have been in my inventory for more than 10 years; others have been there for less than 10 weeks. Like any inventory, it is in a constant state of flux.

The reason for this missive is that upon further reflection on the short conversation I had with someone on Saturday afternoon, I realized that some people are under the mistaken impression that my exhibition is the summation of a single collection. I appreciate very much the degree to which this celebratory exhibition has been received – we are quite proud of it – so I want to ensure that people are not alarmed by the fact that so many different people have purchased items from this exhibition. Indeed, I am very happy that so many people have made new homes for some terrific photographs.

I also happen to personally collect these types of photographs myself, but like most people, these are safely kept in boxes stored away. My strategy has been to purchase photographs I consider exemplary as gallery inventory and if its merits have not been noticed by another, then after about 6 months I feel that it is OK for me to personally buy it from my gallery.

No comments: